Baking Soda Kitchen hacks you won’t believe!
Your kitchen is the most used room in your home, and there are many surfaces and appliances to keep clean. Whether you’re doing maintenance or deep cleaning, you’ll find a trusted helper in baking soda.
Cleaning the Sink Drain
To keep drains fresh, regularly sprinkle a little baking soda in them while running hot water.
For a deeper clean in the case of a slow-moving drain or mild clog, reach for the baking soda and white vinegar. Here’s how:
- Pour a (tea)pot of boiling hot water down your drain.
- Dump in about 1/2 cup of ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda. Let that sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Then, pour a mixture of 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup of hot water down the drain, on top of the baking soda.
- If you have a drain plug, cover the drain and let sit for 5-10 minutes. If you don’t have a drain plug, it’ll be fine.
- Flush again with a pot of boiling water.
Deodorize a Trash Can
Baking soda is a great trash can deodorizer. As garbage accumulates in the bag, add baking soda in layers to help absorb and neutralize odors. You can also wash and deodorize garbage cans with a solution of 1 cup baking soda and 1 gallon of water.
Your smelly garbage is no match for the odor-eliminating power of ARM & HAMMER™ baking soda.
Clean a Dishwasher with Baking Soda
Here’s how to use baking soda and white vinegar to clean and deodorize your dishwasher with minimal effort:
- In an empty dishwasher, place a bowl or dishwasher-safe container containing about a cup of white vinegar face up on the top rack.
- Run the dishwasher on a hot, regular-length cycle.
- Next, liberally sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of your machine.
- Run another short, hot water cycle.
Your dishwasher will smell fresh and the residue from daily use will be in the past.
Deodorize a Refrigerator/Freezer
Using a Fridge-n-Freezer™ package of ARM & HAMMER™ to absorb odors in your refrigerator or freezer is one of the more commonly known baking soda household cleaning hacks. But did you know you can use a mixture of warm water and baking soda or a warm water/baking soda/white vinegar solution to clean your fridge or freezer shelves and drawers? It works great to help remove a surprise spill or the mysterious stains that appear over time.
Clean your Oven
Did you know you can help clean your oven and burner wells with baking soda?
The basic baking soda oven cleaner recipe for regularly cleaned or lightly soiled ovens is as follows:
- ½ cup ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients to make a paste roughly the consistency of pancake batter.
- Remove the racks from the oven.
- Using a rubber spatula or a gloved hand, smear the paste over the dirty parts, whether metal or glass. Avoid the heating elements.
- Let the paste sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Wipe up the paste and loosened dirt and grease with wet paper towels.
- Wipe the oven’s interior with a wet paper towel, using water or a 3:1 mixture of water and distilled vinegar.
Repeat if necessary for tougher stains, or try the heavy-duty method below.
Buy a box of ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda today!